Downfall to Sawzall: A Tale in Responsibility

Hey Mom!

I'll just cut to the chase here: I had to Sawzall the doorknob off my bedroom door. I know what you're thinking Surely, I have not read the above statement correctly. NO ANNABROCK, YOU ARE ADEQUATELY LITERATE!

This situation might be funnier if it were not entirely my own, grown-adult, fault. The doorknob had been sticking recently and several times I thought I should really take this off and see what's going on in there 

BUT 

- and it is a big but-

That thought was immediately followed by later, I will do this thing later. Unfortunately later came and went and then too late showed up around 10pm the night before work.  I go to turn the doorknob and this time it turns but the door does not open. I casually tell my roommate who is watching me struggle from the living room that this has happened a few times and I just need to *click* turn the knob *click* this way and the door *click* will *click* open ....orrrrr remain closed and locked. 

So now I am rapidly running out of options because the screws to dismantle the doorknob are on the other side of the door. My window is latched because, as you all know, I am terrified of home intruders.  And the doorframe is blocking the latch on the door.  So what am I, a competent, legal adult, to do?

I stuck a hanger, a butterknife and a pair of tweezers in the door. Unsuccessful. I watched my roommate also stick a variety of implements in the door. Unsuccessful. I googled how much a standard door costs ($86 at home depot) and seriously wondered if I could kick in a door without damaging any of my joints. I concluded that while I possess the strength to break a door, I do not possess the technique (also doorknobs are waaaay cheaper than doors).

The solution came in the form of my roommate asking "I wonder if it really does Sawzall?". Unfortunately with brilliance comes madness and the look in her eyes as she hoisted the power tool meant that she was immediately dethroned as the wielder of the Sawzall.

Not going to lie, there were casualties

Just 3 doorknobs, hanging out


As it turns out, the Sawzall is very deserving of its title and now I have a hole in my door as a reminder that:

a) I should have taken care of the sort of broken thing before it became a definitely broken thing.

b) I need to install the doorknob I bought... later, I will do this thing later.

That is all.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Richard Cross 1960-2014

Irreversibly Redeemed

Animal Crossing: A Double Edged Sword