A Mile in Decorative Galoshes

Hey Mom!

So the honeymoon stage has worn off my gap year and now a sort of listlessness has set in.... I used to have lists for each class, each day of the week plus monthly lists and long term lists. Now? I have no lists.

But on Thursday I was once again swept up in adventure, the harrowing tale to follow.

*I want to preface this with saying that my roommate does 99% of the yard work but otherwise I would die*

So I decided I was going to rake the backyard. Fuelled by Reactin and the promise of a sweet Benedryl slumber later on, I set about my task. I hoisted the rake above my head and released my battle cry into the cold autumn wind...

...Then about ten minutes later it started raining so I went inside because it was cold and I didn't like it.

BUT FRIDAY, a day traditionally used for evening naps and the consumption of various forms of melted cheese, I was ready. I donned my rubber boots with their thermal lining, I layered a long-sleeve under a t-shirt (mostly because I think as an adult there are only a handful of situations where I can comfortably pull off that look) and also gloves. I raked and raked and raked and raked. Then I wheezed and puffed and spent long periods of time hunched over with my hands on my knees trying to catch my breath (our neighbour, Steve, and his dog, Abbey, pretended not to notice and for than I am forever grateful). Victory at long last, Mother Nature shuddered in fear as my enemies lay piled at my ornately-clad feet

YOU HAVE TO BAG LEAVES?!? As it turns out Mother Nature was actually just quivering, trying to hold in her laughter. 

In hindsight, I'm not really sure I expected anything else to happen... like the leaves would magically disintegrate over winter? I wouldn't classify myself as stupid but I think we can all agree if it was based on this blog there would be more for than against.

And so the leaves were bagged and placed on the curb where two days later they were buried in snow and it was at that moment that I realized I probably could've left the autumn themed yard work to my roommate and just done the shovelling all winter.

That is all.


ps. I made this!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Richard Cross 1960-2014

Irreversibly Redeemed

Animal Crossing: A Double Edged Sword