Degrees of Thanks

Hey Mom!

So this one is going to be serious (I know you think I'm being sarcastic because that is the precedent I've set, but I'm not...ish, I don't know, I haven't decided yet).

I finished my degree today! I know what you're thinking: Does this mean this hub of oversharing and 'Ya Mama' references is finally at an end?!? Probably not because in a lot of ways nothing has changed. I'm at home on a Saturday night studying (and by studying I mean doing this when I should be studying for the MCAT), finishing my degree doesn't change my employment at all, it doesn't change the prefix in front of my name, it doesn't magically transform me into a proper adult or stop me from eating dry cereal in bed or playing too much boggle online. But guess what, Mom?

I CAN FINALLY KEEP MY MONEY! That's right, despite the university's best efforts, I emerge an unfashionably-clad phoenix from the ashes of essays and exams and textbooks (I think it's important to clarify that I did not burn my textbooks as they are still worth more than my time and organs... it is, after all, just an undergrad degree).

But honestly, I think we can all agree that this was a team effort. This whole postsecondary thing was so much harder than I thought it would be. So I have a few thanks to spread around:

THANK YOU! To the people who made time for me, who took me for coffee and opened their homes to me when I was far from my own.  You made me feel like I belonged somewhere and, if I'm honest, kept me from becoming severely malnourished.

THANK YOU! To everyone who reminded me that I am more than just a basketball player. While I still have great memories, there were so many awesome things that came after basketball ended. You helped me take off the self-pity blinders I had on so I could see all the good things waiting for me.

THANK YOU! To my first french prof in Lethbridge who took the time to talk to me and encouraged me to pursue my love of language. You gave me the confidence and the courage to change my major with your kind words.

THANK YOU! To Uncle Dan and Auntie Wendy, your home always feels like my home. Auntie Wendy I know that I could come to you with any problem and you would help me fix it (and let's be honest you have done that lots already). Zazoo, thanks for being goofy with me with the occasional dollop of life advice... Auntie Wendy is stil the boss but you're great too.

THANK YOU! To my Dad who always makes time to talk to me, who puts up with all my YouTube antics, who is my writing buddy and who doesn't always understand but always endeavours to listen. Thank you for being honest with me and being sympathetic when I thought I knew how the world worked and then was flabbergasted when I got punched in the face by reality. I love you and I couldn't have survived this madness without you.

THANK YOU! Mom I'm not sure where to start with this... thank you for buying me a really nice pair of dress pants (they are currently in desperate need of tailoring but for now I just wear them around the house like lounge pants). Thank you for being patient with me during the hairy parts of the school year when I got more absentminded than usual and left cupboard doors open and put laundry in the garbage instead of the washing machine.

Mom, thank you for this. This sounding board for when I just needed to feel like I had a voice. A place where I could find and refine that voice. A place for toilet humour but also for my "big ideas" when I thought I had discovered exactly how this big blue rock works (spoiler: I was wrong... a lot). This blog has been a place where I can be honest about everything (even though I know you might think sometimes I'm too honest about things like food-poisoning and how often I shave my armpits). Thank you for insisting that I would like blogging if I just tried it. Thank you reading each and every one of these posts. I love you and, Mom, this blog is still for you.

This is just to keep it weird


That is all.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Richard Cross 1960-2014

Irreversibly Redeemed

Animal Crossing: A Double Edged Sword