Your Backstory.

Hey Mom!

So you may have guessed by the title of this blog, I am going to launch into an inspirational narrative about how your past does define you and your future is so so bright and wonderful... You would be wrong, that would be a terrible guess.

I don't understand why you can't just walk up to someone and say "So what's the backstory here? I'm not trying to be mean but I really want to know why you've decided to do what you're doing." Is it important to my life? No. Is it any of my business whatsoever? Absolutely not.

For example, a few weeks ago my roommate and I started frequenting the gym after work. About halfway through our workout two guys come in and one of them works out while the other one sits on his phone at the front desk. To be clear, I have no problem with these guys, it's not like the guy who isn't working out is walking around being creepy and mouth-breathing all over the equipment. He's minding his own business while the other guy practices excellent gym etiquette.

I WANT TO BE VERY CLEAR, DO NOT TALK TO PEOPLE WHILE THEY ARE WORKING OUT! LEAVE ME ALONE, CRAIG, I DON'T WANT TO HEAR ABOUT YOUR NEW BREAKFAST CEREAL.

HOWEVER, as a human being I am curious as to why he is there. My roommate and I have compiled a few theories (duh duhn <---- this is the Law and Order sound).

1. One of them is the other's ride home. What's the difference between sitting around at a gym for an hour or waiting at a bus stop? Well, the gym has water, a bathroom, heat and wifi... sooooo.

duh duhn

2. The guy who sits at the desk is injured but doesn't want to break his routine of going to the gym. Starting up a gym routine after being off for awhile is horrible... just horrible.

duh duhn

3. They are a couple. Now I know what you're thinking Mack, you can't just assume people are a couple because they go to the gym together. BUT we are at the gym pretty late at night. So our thinking is that he just wants his significant other to be safe. Like a true battle buddy, he sits around at the gym even though he has no interest in working out... and then asks if they can go get food after (I have never actually witnessed this but I know what would happen if I were in that situation).


But unlike Law and Order, we will never know the backstory of these familiar strangers. They will continue to come to the gym and we will continue to leave the gym, passing them with only the most cursory of nods. Knowing only that which we do not know, we shall never know.


I didn't have any photos of me looking Law and Order-y so I put on dress pants and face swapped with Mariska Hargitay dun duhn?


That is all.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Richard Cross 1960-2014

Irreversibly Redeemed

Animal Crossing: A Double Edged Sword